Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Zoo

Last Saturday we took the girls to the zoo for the first time. We went with one of my sorority sisters and her family, the Maluegs. We had the best time. Louis was really worried about it being too hot and too crowded on a Saturday, but we went early in the morning and the zoo wasn't crowded at all. We had a great trip. The zoo is heavily wooded and well shaded, so the heat was bearable. It was near as crowded as the aquarium. The people moved and no one got in our way. I think we may be more of zoo people that aquarium people. I think we're going to give the aquarium in Chattanooga a chance first; we may just not be Georgia Aquarium people. We LOVED our company at the aquarium, but we just weren't impressed with the crowds, the flow, and the layout.
Louis and I did talk about how we kind of miss the old days when the animals were in cages or cement areas with a little bit of water behind the glass. I know the habitats are better for the animals, but it makes it harder to see them and find them sometimes. It was cool to walk up and say, "Yeah, there's a monkey" before. But, enough critiquing parks. No one cares what I think but me.
When you see how many pictures I posted, I think you'll see why it took me so long to post them.
Let me start by telling you my not so favorite memory of the trip. I forgot to bring two pairs of shoes!!!! Yikes! The day before I had gone shopping with my MIL, and SILs and Mary Elizabeth had pitched a fit to put her new flip flops on in the store. So, in order to keep the peace I accommodated my little girl that should have been napping. I took her shoes off and stuck them in my purse and put the new ones on. That night, while packing for the trip to the zoo, I look in the diaper bag saw shoes and did a mental "check, I've got shoes," not realizing those were only Mckinley's. The next morning, we just picked the girls up out of the bed and stuck them in the car and headed to the zoo. I planned to dress them in the parking lot. I left my purse at home and just stuck my wallet in my diaper bag in order to save on what I had to carry around the zoo. So, when we got there we realized - we only had one pair of shoes for TWO girls!!! Ahh!!! But, we made the best of it.

Here are the girls playing peek-a-boo as baby elephants.
The girls in their cool ride with their sweet new shades.


A cute Brazilian monkey thing that Mckinley called a puppy. Well, he had a collar. I can see what she was thinking.


Kangaroo.



This was probably my favorite part of the zoo. I loved it because it was hands on and the girls got to do something. They LOVED petting the goats. They had no fear and just ran around to the different goats and started petting them. I really think they miss Papa's goats. :-(





And a sheep.
This was so cool! This bird brought his lunch (a mouse) over to us and the proceeded to be the "big man" by puffing up his neck, throwing his mouse up in the air, and then downing it in one gulp! Pretty neat!

Pandas


Mary Elizabeth looking at the Pandas.

Mary Elizabeth showing off her first stamp ever! She thought it was the coolest thing ever! She kept holding her hand up and showing it off! She'd just grin, chuckle, and do a little dance. It was just precious.

Mckinley with her stamp.


All three girls in the bird nest. Hannah, Mary Elizabeth, and Mckinley. This was the best I could do folks.


Mary Elizabeth was so at home in that nest. She just sat down, leaned back, and drank her juice. I think she would have been content sitting there all day!


Hannah and Mary Elizabeth

Lion

Elephant

Nasty Warthogs. Which, no surprise, my girls loved. They "oink"ed at them!

Giraffe.


After the zoo, we had a great picnic lunch in Grant Park. It was so nice to sit, eat, talk, and relax. Here are the girls with their daddy.

The Malueg Family chilling at the park. Lauren, Hannah, and Mark.

Taking a "siesta" with Daddy on the pic-a-nic blanket.


No comments: